Bypass navigation bar

Public services all in one place

Provided by

Student Finance England

Student Finance Calculator

Have you lived in the UK for the last 3 years?  
Are there restrictions on you living in the UK?  

Normally, you must have 'settled status' to be eligible for financial support while you study in England. This means that you can live in the UK permanently without restrictions on how long you may remain.

You are free from any restriction if one or more of the following applies:

  • you are a British citizen
  • you have a right of 'permanent residence' in the UK
  • you have been granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK
  • you have a right of abode in the UK.

If you do not have settled status, this calculator may not accurately estimate your entitlement to support. You may, however, still qualify for student finance. Contact your Local Authority to find out if you can receive support.

Information on entitlement to support for EU students is available here.

Further information about the right of 'permanent residence' and other immigration issues is available from the Immigration and Nationality Directorate at the Home Office at

Is this the first time you have studied a higher education course?  
Are you married or in a civil partnership or were you married or in a civil partnership before the start of the academic year 2009/2010?  

A civil partnership is a relationship between two people of the same sex who have:

  • registered as civil partners; and
  • signed the civil partnership document, along with a civil partnership registrar and two witnesses.


Make your selection based on the address of your campus, rather than your university or college itself if this address is different.

Do you wish to claim non income-assessed support only?  

All eligible students are entitled to a basic amount of financial help.

If you apply for student grants and a Student Loan for Maintenance (to cover your living costs), the total amount of financial help you can receive is based on your household income. If you apply for non-income assessed support you will receive the basic amount of student finance.

To be considered for the full amount of income-assessed support you or other relevant members of your household (for example, your parents, a spouse or a partner) must provide information about your household income.

Student Loans for Fees (covering tuition fees) are not subject to any assessment of household income.

Will you be on a full time course leading to a qualification below postgraduate level? This includes, for example, BA, BEd, BSc, HND, and Foundation Degrees.  
Do you expect to be able to claim benefits while attending your course (income support or housing benefit)?